I show how to backlap a cylinder mower in this episode. The first thing to do is remove your cylinder cartridge and gather your supplies.
Backlap Supplies Needed
- Backlapping compound and brush
- Screwdrive for reel to bedknife adjustment
- Drill for spinning cylinder
- Safety goggle (eye protection)
- Paper strips for sharpness test
- 24mm socket or 15/16″ socket
- 1/2″ socket/drill adapter
- Grille apron or old t-shirt to protect clothing (if desired)
- Clamps for securing cartridge to table (if desired)
First, remove your cartridge and mount securely to your table top. Gather your supplies listed above.
Second, do a paper cut test to find the areas of poor performance. Adjust the reel to bedknife, if needed.
Third, using the 24mm socket begin spinning the cylinder in a clockwise direction. As it spins, apply lapping compound up and down the cylinder. Do a paper cut test and adjust the cylinder as needed. Repeat this process until you get a nice sharp cut entirely down the reel.
Reinstall the reel cartridge and enjoy the mow!!
Hope you enjoy the video below:
Products recommended/used in this video:
- Homeowner’s Backlapping Starter Kit
- DeWalt 6pt Standard Socket 24mm
- DeWalt 24V Drill Kit
- 1/2″ Socket/Drill adapter
- WD-40 Silicone Spray
Visit my online shop for more great products.
Best of Times in the Lawn!!